My back has been bad, so I can't sit long enough to post something. It is getting better, so I thought I would update you all on the boys.
Drew saw Dr. Brockmeyer, a neurosurgeon at PCMC (Primary Children's). Drew's cervical spine is quite interesting really. Most of his anomalies are different, but not an issue. The one that is concerning is his 1st vertabrae. It is supposed to be a ring, but it is 2 pieces. This prevents the proper connection between the skull, 1st and 2nd vertabrae. People are supposed to have no more than 2 mm of movement when they flex and extend their necks. Drew has somewhere from 8-10 mm. So, he is having surgery March 9th to fuse the skull to the 2nd vertabrae. This is a bit of a worry to us! He will lose around 50% of his side to side motion in his neck. However, the risk of injury without the surgery is also a huge worry to us. It really is a rock and a hard place. Please pray for Drew (and for us!).
Kael was able to get a spot in the FUN Clinic (Follow-Up Nutrition) at PCMC with a gastroenterologist named Daniel Jackson, so we did not have to go all the way to St. George. That was a blessing with my recent back troubles and with Drew's recent ear infection that just would not go away (fever, malaise, etc). Dr. Jackson wanted to increase Kael's meds and add a new medication to empty Kael's stomach faster. We will return in a month to see what has happened. If Kael's reflux is managed- hurray! If not, all that is left is surgical management with a procedure called a Nissen fundoplication. Of course, there are other things to consider- he aspirates when he eats. Kael is seeing the ENTs again on March 3rd for a test to see if there is an anatomical cause for his aspiration. If they can not find an anatomical cause and Kael has not "grown out of it" by our follow-up with Dr. Jackson in April, we may be looking at a G-tube. Of course, the next steps would be to scope Kael's esophagus and stomach to see if there is an allergic cause for esophageal irritation or other anatomical issues. They would also do a pH probe to prove/disprove reflux. So, basically, if the medication does't control the reflux, our only recourse is surgical (they will just decide which one based on what happens with the aspiration).
I registered Evan for kindergarten the other day. That was exciting. I am also anxious to see how he will function in a mainstream classroom. They will do some testing with the school psychiatrist and both his preschool teacher and myself will fill out evaluations. We may seek a medical diagnosis. I hesitate to label him, but unfortunately, it is the only way to be sure he qualifies for school services! And, I just learned from a friend with and older child with the same issues that they would not let her put Asperger Syndrome, only Autism (even though his diagnosis was Aspergers). Ugh... that makes my decision harder. So, we will see what comes of this whole transition process.
Robby will be three in less than 3 weeks. He will get to go to preschool a couple days a week with Evan as a "tuition student". I think he will enjoy it and it will be good for him. Besides- two days a week where it is just me and Kael for 3 hours? Yipee! :)
Thanks for all your love and support! Oh, and I promise more pictures very soon....
6 years ago
